CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Inconsistent (or Screw You, City)

That's what my blogging has become.

When it turns into more of a chore than a pleasure, I just don't do it. But since I know that at least one person will get on my case if I don't update occasionally, here I am again.

The most annoying thing in my life right now is probably not that much fun to read about, but since it's becoming quite a little monster of an issue, I might as well share for those who might care.

Remember that car accident I had back in September? Well, that has turned out to be one of the biggest butts of a situation that I've been in during my short life. You may also remember that in this post I detailed the fact that the (other driver's) insurance company wasn't being the most helpful. Well, my insurance did their thing and denied the other company's claim that I was at fault. Since all this takes about a million years, I just figured that by the time it was all resolved they would both come down to a 50/50 fault, and I would get nothing.

As it turns out, getting nothing would have been a good option.

Instead, the day before Thanksgiving I received an itemized bill from the City letting me know that I owed them $7,000 for the fire hydrant I hit.

I will skip a detailed description of the various words and phrases I may or may not have used after reading this letter.

Anyway, my insurance wrote the City a letter stating that I was not at fault for the accident. I didn't hear anything more from the insurance or the City, so I didn't do anything. Then, a couple days ago we got a delinquency letter.

And, OF COURSE, my contact at the City is absolutely worthless when it comes to ANSWERING THE PHONE OR RETURNING PHONE CALLS.

*deep breath*
Maybe I should work for the city. You don't have to do anything.

So, I have multiple calls into this lady (who will remain nameless though I have no intention of protecting her), and my insurance adjuster has a call in, as well.

I'm trying very hard to understand what lesson I should be learning right now. I didn't do anything wrong, and I may be stuck paying 7 grand and losing $2,200 worth of car. In the end I realize it is "only money," but it feels like the most unjust thing in the world.

I wonder why the City is so willing to use my tax money to erect statues on top of buildings and construct $5,000,000 round-a-bouts, yet is unwilling to use tax money to fix a friggin' fire hydrant. I also wonder why it costs so much when I actually saw the "labor" that went into some of it. I swear, one of the men was standing there smoking while watching another guy do the work. Again, maybe I should work for the City.

I'm pissed.

(End of rant)

5 comments:

lanes said...

It IS one of the most unjust things in the world and I'm pissed with you, friend! I pray that the situation will get worked out and that with a little more patience, the City will get their act together. I'm so sorry, Rachel. :(

Reagan said...

Reading this makes me so mad! I so feel for you right now...Hopefully it'll turn out for the better...

Tricia said...

Seriously, that's all so messed up. I'm sorry you've had to pick up the bill when this lady clearly was at fault.

Unknown said...

Ugh, I can't even imagine! I would probably punch someone...or feel overwhelmed and cry about it.

Annemarie said...

Oh, that sucks so incredibly hard. That's really awful. I hope it works out in your favor.