CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Almost 1 Year...

We are quickly approaching our one year anniversary. It's pretty exciting! I will officially be able to say that the first year of marriage is no sweat. :) (at least...when you're married to Jono, it isn't.)

We are trying to decide on what to do for our anniversary. The practical, FPU-attending part of us thinks we should save money. Yet, another part of us thinks that this only comes once and we could treat ourselves.

Another part of the equation is that we are going to spend a week in Virginia with my family this summer, taking up all of Jono's vacation time from work and a good chunk of mine. If we went anywhere for the anniversary he would be taking time without pay.

All that said, we cannot decide where we might like to go. I've always wanted to go to Disney World (I don't care how commercialized it is. I want to go once in my life!). But we would also enjoy lots of other things.

Also, staying in the country is mandatory as I haven't updated my passport and don't think I have time to do that before the big day.

I would love to hear some ideas from you all! If you had about 4-5 days to work with (we're talking over the weekend plus 2 or 3 days off), what would you do? Would you fly? Drive? Go fishing? I'll take any advice you can give!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If I had 5 days I would go to Kansas! ....but since you're there already...I have a great idea...you should go to WISCONSIN! I hear that Milwaukee is a nice place! :)

Shawna said...

I would use one of those online places like orbitz or priceline, and find a fabulous last minute deal for a long weekend. I get emails from them with all kinds of crazy fun trips for cheap!

I wouldn't try to disney, one b/c I think it requires a TON of planning to do over a long weekend. Not that it can be done, but it might end up being a marathon weekend to cram it all in. Also, you have to be sure Disney is your type of place before you fork out all that $$!

tsbjf said...

Milwaukee....how about Northern California?!!! Wine country, hiking, San Francisco, ocean beaches, need I say more?

tsbjf said...

Although a nice cheese and seeing Joy are priceless :) .

Tricia said...

That's just precious! Really... you two being married almost a year. Time flies, huh?

Flights are hecka cheap right now. I'll give you a few websites that were in the last issue of National Geographic Traveler that I got:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch

that one shows you every single flight available for the destination you're wanting, though you can't buy directly off it (just good for comparing, then going to the plane company's site and buying)

www.farecast.live.com is a site that apparently lets you know if now is a good time to buy your tickets, or if you should wait a few weeks when the prices are likely to go down (well, it lets you know if they probably will... not sure if you're wanting to wager like that though)

And even though I just told you about cheap flights, I really enjoyed the train, and you two might like that (though travel is slower, so you wouldn't want to go real far)

I've been thinking a trip to Nashville would be a lot of fun, and it's not too far away. That area of the country would be so beautiful in May!

You'll have to let us know what decision you arrive at =)

Annemarie said...

We've been trying hard to snowball too, but we went with the "this only happens once" side and saved up to spend the weekend at a nice hotel. Highly memorable, I say make it big. We set a $10 limit on birthday presents. This may be interesting...