CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 30, 2008

Reading Again!

There are so many wonderful things about being done with our wedding. Being married, obviously, ranking up at the top. I could go on an on about the things that are so great, but for now I won't...mostly because I'm sure I'll run out of material soon and need it as a back up.

("BTDubb", I'm still having wedding nightmares, as recent as last night. Why me?)

The one thing I want to mention, though, is that I'm reading again. I recently realized that except for a book I read when I was supposed to be planning the wedding, I hadn't read anything since the last Harry Potter (which, if you happen to have forgotten, was released on July 21st!). That means that (basically) within the last YEAR I have read only two books.

I'm so ashamed.

In my defense, I had two jobs all fall semester and was planning a wedding all spring semester.

But now I am joyfully back into reading. I started with a book I never finished that I bought at the library book sale. The Hiding Place...

Wait. I've been out of school for too long. I can't remember the proper way to reference a book. Italics? Underline? Quotation marks? Please, someone save me from my ignorance.

Anyway, back to what I was saying. The...um... the book that will now be called "the book" so that I don't make any further citation faux pas. I haven't finished it yet, but it has been a wonderful read, though filled with depressing themes. Corrie and her family are not what most would call "missionaries," but only because most people don't understand what "missions" truly is.

Every morning after Jono has left for work I have about 30 minutes to either get pretty or read. I always choose read, and I'm always sorry the 30 minutes are up. I think I've only got a couple chapters left, so I feel safe recommending this as an inspiring read.

Soon I'll be done, and I'll need more reading ideas! Please leave a comment with 1 or 2 or 7 of your very favorite books.

Have a great day!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

:)
Graustark (i know it sounds funny, but it's delightful!)
Improving your Serve (for something less secular)
:)

Jenny said...

Ooh! Nathan and I are reading this book right now that's really good. It's called Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. I think it's best to read it as a couple, but I'm sure the marriage will benefit if just one of you read it too. Not that newlyweds really need a book like that but it can't hurt.

tsbjf said...

Peace Like a River

Bruchko

When I was in high school I think we had to underline book titles. You should probably ask Micah though.

MagenRanae said...

I really don't have any book suggestions...and I'm totally going to blame it on the fact that I've had the same situations as you hogging up my time for the last 5 years!

I'm totally going to steal the ones that the other gals have suggested!

luaphacim said...

*Pushes up glasses*

The Modern Language Association (MLA)'s guidelines for citing books are a little flexible on this point.

Traditionally, since most typewriters do not have italic fonts available, book titles were always underlined in scholarly works written on typewriters. In published works, however, italics were often used to denote book titles, since the publisher could use italic typefaces with relative ease. With the advent of word processing devices in the 1980s, italics have become available to the everyday scholar, and, to a large extent, have supplanted underlining as the preferred method of marking book titles.

However, in a nod to their typewriting past, the members of the MLA have decided that both underlining and italicizing are acceptable, so long as each writer is consistent in using either one or the other within a single piece of writing.

So there you have it. 8-)

Rachel said...

Thank you, Micah. I knew you'd eventually come in handy.

lanes said...

Some favorites:

Catcher in the Rye, Blue Like Jazz, Ella Enchanted, A Voice in the Wind series, uhhhh yeah.

That's all that I can think of right now. You might like Voice in the Wind.... it's about a Jew! And you know, I just love Jews. I really do. ;)